071 516 5566 013 516 0513
071 516 5566 013 516 0513

#save ligwalagwalafm gain momentum

Mbombela
By Lucky Professor Mahlangu

A March to the Nelspruit SABC office had been held successfully by local community members and the NPO and this is what they said in their memorandum of demands

“We demand that programming and scheduling changes be suspended until a thorough consultative and transparent process is concluded between the management and the affected presenters/show hosts. We demand that the process of programming and scheduling changes be conducted in a manner that is informed by show viability, objectivity, transparency and relevant scientifi c measurable criteria.”

“We further demand that when programming and scheduling changes are made in consultation with all affected parties, a reasonable period of at least twelve months be considered to ensure that where such changes may have a direct/indirect impact on the livelihood of some of the presenters, such impacts be

“We also demand that at no point must the proposed changes result in a situation where listeners will have to lose some of the programmes/shows without a scientifi c measure to determine the viability/listenership of such a show, and that listeners’ input be solicited when programming and scheduling changes are discussed,” read part of the memorandum.

#SaveLigwalagwalaFM campaigner, Pr Simon Mdluli said they had given the SABC seven days to respond to their demands. “If they fail to respond by the stipulated time, we will be calling for another march to the regional offices.”

He said their march was peaceful and observed all Covid-19 regulations.

“We had a meeting with SABC national and regional offi ces and the Ligwalagwala FM management to resolve other issues
concerning SABC workers on Monday before the march. The meeting went very well. All we need is to ensure that Ligwalagwala FM employees’ jobs are protected,” he said.

Apparently, the embattled SABC is in the process of restructuring and transitioning their organisational structure. This, along the way, is going to affect more than 300 jobs that will be lost.

“It must be noted that following an extensive consultation process with various stakeholders, this process has been concluded and is currently being implemented,” SABC acting spokesperson, Mmoni Seapolelo said.

“At this stage, affected employees are applying for available vacancies as identified in the new organisational structure, interviews have started and offers for successful candidates are being fi nalised. In addition, several early retirements have been accepted,” Seapolelo said.

The acting regional manager, Rio Mabunda, confirmed to have received the memorandum and that he would forward it to the head office